[cmake-developers] Add support for IAR compilers

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sun Oct 17 12:19:41 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-17 16:17+0200 Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> basically since January this year I am busy with adding support for the IAR
> compilers to cmake:
>
> Main problem is that they run only under Windows, I don't have Windows, and I
> also already tried to get them installed on a ReactOS QEmu image, but didn't
> succeed, in the end some things didn't work.

Hi Alex:

I also don't have access to Windows but need to test software (PLplot
and FreeEOS in my case) for that platform.  I have used Wine (the free
Windows workalike accessible under Linux) for this testing purpose,
and you might want to consider this platform for your Windows testing
needs as well.  Of course, Wine is not a perfect Windows workalike,
but those developers try very hard to implement that goal, and keep
getting better and better at realizing that goal.  Thus, if your Wine
testing succeeds, there is a good chance the software you are testing
will work on proprietary Windows as well.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS, ReactOS does use
some parts of Wine but cannot use it all.  It is also unclear to me
how well ReactOS keeps up with the latest Wine (Wine puts out a new
development release every two weeks) or whether some of the issues you
encountered were due to some non-Wine ReactOS issue. (ReactOS is a
standalone OS while the OS part is taken care of by Linux for Wine so
should be completely reliable in that case.)

Under Wine, and using a downloaded Windows binary version of the MinGW
set of compilers, I have used a downloaded Windows binary of CMake to
build CMake itself, and then used that Wine-built version of CMake to
build and (successfully) test PLplot.  These preliminary
Wine/CMake/MinGW results look quite promising so you might find that
Wine/CMake/IAR also works well.  Anyhow, it is worth a try since it is
a good feeling to have Windows-workalike platform testing under your
own hands to complement proprietary Windows platform testing done by
others.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).