[cmake-developers] User vs CMake include mismatch handling

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Oct 10 14:56:29 EDT 2010

On Friday 08 October 2010, David Cole wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>wrote:
> > Better idea:
> >
> > I'll add a policy which switches this behaviour (prefer CMAKE_ROOT over
> > CMAKE_MODULE_PATH when used from within CMAKE_ROOT), and this policy
> > will, as all other policies, default to the old behaviour, but warn.
> This latest idea does sound better, but I am still not a fan of "invisible
> / magic behavior." I much prefer when things are explicitly spelled out.

There is now a branch "PreferCMakeModulesByCMakeModulesWithPolicy" on staging.
It includes this patch, a new policy CMP0017, and a basic test for it.

I also verified that this fixes the KDE 4.5 problem.
With KDE 4.5.0/4.5.1 there are now a lot of these new CMP0017 warnings, and in
the end stuff has not been found which should have been found.

Should I handle setting CMP0017 to NEW in kdelibs (-> cmake 2.8.3 will not be
able to build KDE 4.5.0/1, but complain loud) or in
CMake/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake (then cmake 2.8.3 will be able to build KDE
4.5.0/1) ?

Alex