[cmake-developers] git help and bug fixes

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 03:43:11 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 8:23 AM, James Bigler <jamesbigler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>> James Bigler wrote:
>> > CMake devs, could you comment on my last two questions?
>> >
>> > * Question: Do I need to push this change to "next"?
>> >
>> > * Question: If this is a bug fix, will the release manager push it into
>> > 2.8.2 at some point?
>>
>> Yes to both.
>>
>> Please start the topic from master, commit, and then merge into next.
>> Don't base the work on next or we won't be able to merge it.
>>
>> Detailed workflow documentation is here:
>>
>>  http://public.kitware.com/Wiki/Git/Workflow/Topic
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Brad
>
> OK, so this is what I ended up doing:
>
>   516  git branch topics/FixCudaVersionAfterFirstRun
> 0d30e3fe91717f519722a71470a5180c13818a2a
>   518  git checkout -b next origin/next
>   520  git pull
>   526  git merge topics/FixCudaVersionAfterFirstRun
>   528  git push  -> failed with non-fast-forward
>   529  git reset --hard origin/next
>   530  git merge topics/FixCudaVersionAfterFirstRun
>   534  git push -> failed with non-fast-forward again.  I reread this thread
> and did the following
>   535  git checkout master
>   538  git reset --hard origin/master
>   541  git checkout next
>   543  git push -> Succeeded
>
> Now, according to the wiki, I should also push this change into master,
> right?

Same question for me ? I tried pushing the exact same changes onto
master (after success on 'ext'), but now it fails with:

$ git push -v
Pushing to git at cmake.org:cmake.git
Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com may not update master branch
error: hook declined to update refs/heads/master
To git at cmake.org:cmake.git
 ! [remote rejected] master -> master (hook declined)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git at cmake.org:cmake.git'

Mathieu
ref: http://public.kitware.com/Wiki/Git/Workflow/Topic#Mature_Topic