[cmake-developers] Pushing to next and closing bugs?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Jul 27 16:15:13 EDT 2010

On Monday 05 July 2010, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> On 7/5/2010 2:06 PM, Eric Noulard wrote:
> > Yes it does.
> > I'll re-open the prematurely closed bug and propose the following
> > "process":
> >
> > 1) A bug is reported (by a "Reporter")
> >
> > 2) The bug is assigned (to the "Assignee") which either
> >          either integrate a patch from a "Fixer"
> >          and/or produce a fix "Assignee==Fixer"
> > 3) The Fixer test the bug
> >
> > 4) The Assignee merge the fix locally test it and merge to next
> >      It signals "Fixer" and "Reporter" that the fix is in next
> >      (ideally the tracker should send a follow-up mail)
> >
> > 5) The "Reporter" and the "Fixer" confirm
> >      with the note on the tracker that the fix is OK from git next
> >      and/or the next release
> >
> > 6) The Assignee close the bug telling the CMake version including this
> > fix (i.e. he should wait the next CMake release to close the bug)
> >
> > This should work, including the fact that a bug reporter may not have the
> > full right to change bug status (The Assignee may be the only one to be
> > able to do it)
>
> So, although not perfect, I prefer to close the bug when it is checked
> in to next.   My reason is that we have wayyyy too many bugs open as it
> is.  I don't want to have to wait on the reporter to close it, as often
> times they have lost interest and gone away never to come back anyway.

I completely agree.
Also I think it would be somewhat problematic to have to watch for the merges
into master to see when I can go back to the bug tracker and close
the "Resolved" bugs. At that time I am usually already working on other
things, the bug has been done for me as soon as I fixed it and pushed it to
next.

I also wouldn't say it's a "conflict of interest" if the "fixer" also closes,
actually that's my motivation to fix the bugs :-)
Having them then still hanging around as "Resolved" but not "Closed" feels
like they are not really finished yet.
I also have the impression there is currently nobody going through the bug
database and checking whether the "Resolved" bugs can be closed or not (there
are currently 137 "Resolved" bugs
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view_all_bug_page.php?filter=37879 )

> They can always reopen it as they often do.  There is no better way to
> get someone to look at a bug than to claim it is all fixed, and you have

Agree here too.

Alex