[cmake-developers] Volunteering to fix and commit some CPackDEB bugs

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 06:15:17 EDT 2010

2010/7/26 Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com>:
> Eric,
>
> You have my blessing, if this was your question.

Thanks, I have some more questions.

Some of the patch proposal will add dependencies on
debian specific tools (dpkg-xxx).

I know you wanted to make debian generator run even if
debian tools were not installed (i.e. building a deb on rpm based distros).

Alex seems to think that being independent of dpkg-xxx tools
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2008-November/025030.html

So what should we do?

1) Use dpk-XXX when they are found and then fallback to "autonomous
[may be less-powerfull] mode"
    if they are not found?

2) Avoid ANY dependencies on dpk-XXX ?

I would vote for 1) because I found 2) too restrictive, however there
may be a 3rd option which
would be to create a new DEB2 CPack generator which requires dpkg-xxx tools?

--
Erk
http://www.april.org