[cmake-developers] git branches and cmake build trees

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 16:43:25 EDT 2010

2010/4/10 Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>:

> hammer:~/src/CMake/CMake-gitorious$ git pull
> Unpacking objects: 100% (22/22), done.
> From git://gitorious.org/~neundorf/cmake/neundorfs-cmake
>  * [new branch]      IAR-support -> origin/IAR-support
> Already up-to-date.
> hammer:~/src/CMake/CMake-gitorious$ git branch
> * master
>

> It seems it now received the "IAR-support" branch. But why doesn't "git
> branch" show it ?

I think (not sure though)
because the default behavior for git is not to show "remote" branch. try:

git branch -r

to see remote branch(es)

> I tried to switch to the branch, this work:
>
> hammer:~/src/CMake/CMake-gitorious$ git checkout IAR-support
> Branch IAR-support set up to track remote branch IAR-support from origin.
> Switched to a new branch 'IAR-support'
>
> Is this normal behaviour ?

Not sure but I think there no need for git to "track" the remote [origin] branch
unless you do the checkout or tell git explicitely that you want to track it
with:

git branch --track IAR-support origin/IAR-support

Have a look at this thread and the answer from Brad:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake-developers/2010-March/000302.html

--
Erk
http://www.april.org