[cmake-developers] disabling implicit rules ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Aug 31 16:21:17 EDT 2006

Hi,

yesterday I learnt that make has an implicit rule to generate a binary from a
file name "*.sh" by simply copying it.
For an OpenBSD user this had the effect that he wasn't able to compile (guess
what) kdelibs, because simply copied one of the shell wrapper scripts
(genembed.sh) to genembed, instead of building genembed. Renaming the file
from genembed.sh to genembed.shell helped against this problem.
The issue can be reproduced with the attached makefile, simply enter "make"
and it will copy the file.
Is there a way to disable this implicit rule ?

Bye
Alex

P.S. the user who reported this problem also has to bugs in the bugtracker:
#3470 and #3473 (the patch in #3470 was required otherwise he wasn't able to
build anything if I understood him correctly)