[cmake-developers] make install starts "too" late

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Aug 10 16:35:51 EDT 2006

On Thursday 10 August 2006 21:56, you wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Hmm, interesting concept the cmake_install_local. Makes sense. I would
> not ask users to type cmake -P ....

...only special users ;-)

> I think having make install/local targets or something similar would be
> better.

Yes, and this would call cmake -P ..., right ?

If that's ok with you, I'll try to make a patch.

> Btw, I am not sure if Thomas realizes this, but running make install and
> playing with the executables and libraries while they are being
> installed is generally bad idea. For example, there is no guaranty that
> things will happen in the right order.
>
> How complicated would be to fix KDE to run from the build tree?

Difficult.
I'm not sure about the details, but a typical KDE app loads a bunch of stuff.
Icons, xml files for the GUI, plugins, desktop files for the plugins etc.
These things are searched using KStandardDirs or something like that.
Maybe this doesn't have a way to prefer the builddir over the install dir or
something like that.

Bye
Alex