The ParaView Tutorial
The ParaView Tutorial is an introductory and comprehensive tutorial. It teaches using ParaView through examples that start at basic usage and continue through more advanced topics such as temporal analysis, animation, parallel processing, and scripting.
This tutorial is sometimes referred to as the supercomputing tutorial because it originated as the handout documents for a series of tutorials at supercomputing. However, because the tutorial was designed for the beginning user, the material was general enough to be useful to a broad audience and became a popular document for learning ParaView. As time passes we are starting to add more advanced topics from tutorials in more specific domains. This tutorial has become something of a repository for teaching materials, hence simply the tutorial.
To get started, you will need the document itself.
Of course, you will also need ParaView itself. You can get the most recent version of ParaView from http://www.paraview.org.
If you want to reference this version of The ParaView Tutorial as a publication, please use the following:
Kenneth Moreland. The ParaView Tutorial, Version 5.2. Technical Report SAND 2016-11449 TR, Sandia National Laboratories, 2016.
Some individuals have been good enough to translate the tutorial in other languages. When they become available, we will post them here. Please keep in mind that these are done after the English version is created and on a volunteer basis. If you are not finding a recent translation in your native language, then thanks in advance for volunteering to create a new translation.
- Japanese Translation of the ParaView Tutorial for version 4.2. Thanks to Takuya OSHIMA, Kei OGINO, Hidekazu TANAKA, Masashi IMANO, and Haruka Tsubota.
- The ParaView Tutorial for version 5.1
- The ParaView Tutorial for version 4.4
- The ParaView Tutorial for version 4.2
- The ParaView Tutorial for version 4.1
- The ParaView Tutorial for version 4.0
- The ParaView Tutorial for version 3.98
- The ParaView Tutorial for version 3.12
- The ParaView Tutorial for version 3.10
- The ParaView Tutorial for version 3.8
- The ParaView Tutorial for version 3.6
- SC08 ParaView Tutorial
- SC07 ParaView Tutorial
- Japanese Translation of the ParaView Tutorial for version 3.8
- Japanese Translation of the ParaView Tutorial for version 3.6
Recent binary distributions of ParaView (starting with version 5.2) come with the data needed for the tutorial exercises. For earlier versions you will need to download the example data. (The two archives below contain the same data. Just download the one with your preferred archive format.)
- The ParaView Tutorial Data (in tar/gzip)
- The ParaView Tutorial Data (in zip)
- ParaView Scripts (in tar/gzip)
Several people have requested the slides for the tutorial for their own presentations. Here is a link to PowerPoint slides that have been presented recently.
Be aware that these slides are not intended for learning ParaView on your own. They make no sense without an instructor already familiar with ParaView. Instead, use the ParaView tutorial notes document posted at the top of this page. It contains all of the material in the slides plus more plus full descriptions on how everything works.
Additional material for the IEEE SC14 presentation is here:
In the past, individuals have requested the source materials for the tutorial. In response, the LaTeX source and images are posted at https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview-tutorial (location subject to change). Or you can download the LaTeX repository from this link:
Contributions to the text are always welcome. Please send patches or git pull requests either directly to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or to the ParaView mailing list (email@example.com).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.